Monday, November 19, 2012

"Chappies, pet, nooh, gooh & tah!"


Adeline finally got to do check-out at Sainsburys which is not so tiring...

"On Wednesday (yesterday), I was till trained to handle the checkouts. I must say I prefer checkouts to replenishing goods on the shopfloor. My store, Sainsburys Heaton is a superstore which means it is very big. Sainsburys today posted a high profit.

I got to interact with a lot of (elderly) customers who were very patient with me because I told them it was my first time on the checkouts. They smiled a lot and chatted with me. There was a very very elderly gentlemen who had trouble packing his own goods. I offered to help but he said he was okay. The Sainsburys customers are so civilised and polite. They are mostly elderly, and mostly middle class with money to spend. Sainsburys is known to be somewhat high end.

My supervisor said it's a shame I am not officially a part of the Checkouts team because I have a very good customer manner. (I am smiley, greet customers, say good bye and have a nice day etc). So when I say good bye etc customers naturally say goodbye and smile a lot to me. David says stores employ girls because they are more approachable. So girls on the checkouts make sense.

My supervisor called everybody pet. She called me 'pet', she called the customers 'pets' and a very old gentlemen, 'pet'.  "Don't forget to say bye, pet" "Don't forget to ask for their nectar card, pet" "Good days, pet" and she calls little baby boys "chappies" ie "so that's why he's not a happy chappy". 

Anyway, I booked myself in for some overtime on the tills next week. This week I made GBP 169 from 16 hours of work. I hope to get more in December.

However, liking the tills does not mean I am spared a shoulder pain once I'm done. But the fact is, I enjoyed it so I could deal with the pain. I don't enjoy working in Dry Goods because the nature of the job is so mundane. I actually dread going to work those days. I also get all sorts of cuts from dealing with boxes etc. 

My HR trainer asked me how I found the tills training and I told her honestly I preferred it to working in Dry Goods. She looked thoughtful and said she'll see what she can do about it.
This time around I am a bit more outspoken (having been 'brainwashed' by RR) so am more noticeable in my group of trainees. The HR trainer knows me by name cause I ask lots of questions, greet her, say thanks for the training etc. Maybe it helps to be outspoken after all. 

My colleagues are very nice and down to earth people. They've got strong geordie accents. You know, I like people in the North so much more than people in the South or the Midlands.

The people here are humble and friendly. They are not pretentious. They have a very heavy accent and have bad partying and drinking habits but they are not snobbish. It's nice to mingle with this section of society. They are not competitive, they are contented with their jobs (even if it doesn't pay that highly) and they are very happy people. They can even go on holidays etc. I see that they enjoy their lives even though others might think of them as low class.

Also, when around them, I talk a bit like them. Which means my sentences end with a lilt. One sounds like 'wun', no sounds like 'Nooh', go like 'gooh'. 

Okay that's all for now.

Tah!"

No comments:

Post a Comment