Thursday, November 15, 2012

A little more functional than a mashed potato!

Adeline started work @ Sainsbury on Nov 8. The pay: GBP 6.5 an hour. The job: sales assistant aka salesgirl.
 
"Work is so tiring.

I had to attend two days of induction on Thurs and Fri prior to starting work. We were given health & safety training, how to operate equipment training, good customer service training, how to spot shoplifters training, how to deal with aggressive customers training and general familiarisation with the store.

I started work yesterday (Sunday). I worked from 10 am to 6 pm. The only thing my job consists of is replenishing stock. I had to carry very heavy loads of goods and replenish shelves constantly. Heavy bottles of olive oil, heavy bottles of sauces. It was very tiring. I left work with a bad ache in my shoulders and feet.
 
The only good thing I can take from this job is that by the end of my shift, some items are reduced drastically. So I can buy these items. They are usually bakery bread and pastries. I am also super aware of the offers going on since I am the one replenishing the shelves so I can buy these if I wanted to.

Some customers came and asked me for help but I could only say 'So Sorry, it's my first day here. If you want, I can get my colleague to help you'. We need to practice good customer service and have a set of principles to follow when dealing with the customer. Every week, a Mystery Shopper comes in and asks for help to assess our customer service level.

Still having remnants of back ache from yesterday. Working the night shift today. I am being till trained on Wednesday. Working the tills is scary because you can get prosecuted if you accidentally sell to underage customers.
 
I feel like a manual labourer :(. At least the pay is something to look forward to.
 Okay, that's all for now. I got lots of cuts on my fingers from handling sharp packaging. 

Love,

Adeline (now little more functional than a mashed potato).

No comments:

Post a Comment